Thursday, February 28, 2013

Shadows and light.


When I was a little kid, maybe four or five years old, my Grandpa would read to me from a book called “Happiness is a Warm Puppy.” It was short and simple, really more of a picture book than anything. Written and illustrated by Charles Schulz, it featured Snoopy and the rest of the “Peanuts” characters. Most of the words escape me, but I remember its message clearly: Often, the simple things can make the most difference in life.

My Grandpa has been gone for many years now, and I don’t know what happened to that book, but I was recently reminded of its lesson. Whether it's being tackled by two loving dogs, or hearing words of support from your friends, I don’t have to look all that hard to find things that make me happy. I need to remember that emotional states aren’t mutually exclusive; I can be in state of despondency and still enjoy moments of contentment. Or to look at it another way, when there are shadows, there must also be light. The light is always present, but I have to turn to face it.

Those of you who know me may be asking, “Where is Marc, and what have you done with him?” I too find it strange that I am writing these words, but I think that I have found a way to deal with my emotional ups and downs. If I can write what I feel, then I can just as easily feel what I write.

Perhaps Milton said it best:

“The mind is its own place, and in it self. Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.”

1 comment: